January 17, 2011

Vacation Reading

We had the privilege of going to see family in Boise, Idaho over Christmas. It was nice to get away for a week. Different scenery, different weather, fun things to do and a lovely family.  We didn't fly, we drove.  We really love road trips and stopping at fun places along the way and I am a big fan of trying to stop at food places that have been shown on Food Networks show Diner's Drive In's and Dives.  We like to make it fun.  This trip we had to get there in a matter of two days because of Steve's days off and Christmas so we didn't have the luxury of leisure.  We had to get there in two days!  (We did go to three DDD places while in Boise though.) Lets just say - by the time we got to our families house we were ready not to get in the car for quite a while.  Anyway.... besides the point.  While we drove I got to catch up on some reading I have been wanting to do. 

One the way there I read Finding Home: An Imperfect Path to Faith and Family by Jim Daly and Bob DeMoss  and on the way home I read  Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent.

Two books in one week!  I haven't done that in years.  What a treat.

Finding Home was written by the president of Focus on the Family.  I love Focus on the Family and Jim Daly which is what drew me to this book in the first place.  I also love biographies. Taking a peek into a persons life that I admire is interesting to me. It's thought provoking and gives me a different perspective on my own life.  Jim Daly has a pretty amazing story.  He went through some horrible situations like being orphaned at a young age, alcoholism in his family that affected him, loneliness and more.  What was so wonderful to read about was how God used each situation in his life to mold him and shape him into the leader that he is today. It is a very encouraging and inspiring story. It will give you hope.  He overcame (through he Lord) and God had a plan for him from the day he was born. If you are looking for a good read and a different perspective along with a good dose of hope then this is a must read.

Heaven is for Real was an excellent book as well.  This little boy named Colton actually went to heaven and came back.  You may think - "yea right..." but there are facts in the book from the parents that back up Coltons credibility and prove that his journey really happened.  I believe heaven truly is for real but this book concreted that fact.  The story that the parents tell about their little guy's near death experience will have you captivated and keep you from putting the book down.  There are some very emotional parts in the book and I particularly like that. A few tears were shed here and there.  You will get a glimpse into the Burpo family and how Todd (the father) and his wife fought together for their son to live.  You will see all the blessings that came out of the trials they went through and you will finish the book with a real glimpse into what heaven is like.  If you want to add a book to your reading list, I highly recommend this one.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find an older post

For any and all health advice/suggestions and/or posts on this blog, I do not assume any liability for you. The posts and comments on this blog are not meant to be a substitute for your own practicing physician's care in your life. These posts are based on my experience and research in my own healing journey and are placed here to encourage and help those ailing with their health. We are all individuals and there is not ONE pat answer or resolution that applies to everyone across the board.