August 20, 2010

New Orleans Rice and Sausage

This dish had a lot of flavor and was able to be made in one pot.  I really liked that.  Now for those of you that don't like sausage you could use ground turkey or beef in it and it would be very good as well. I was surprised because Corbin loved it, even with all the veggies.  As I said in my previous post he even had seconds for a snack later in the night.  That has never happened.

1/2 pound smoked sausage cut into slices (I used a smoked Turkey Kielbasa)
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, cajun or italian style (I used italian)
3/4 cup water (I used more water because I didn't use instant rice)
1 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice (I used regular rice)
Dash Tabasco suace (did not use this - it would be too spicy for Corbin)
1 bag (16oz) frozen mixed veggies with Broccoli, Corn and Red Peppers (I did not use this because there are some frozen veggies I don't like - like broccoli.  Instead I used canned corn a fresh pepper and fresh broccoli)
* Since the cooking time for the rice was longer I was able to steam the veggies in the same pot while the rice was cooking.

Heat Sausage in large skillet 2-3 minutes. (I actually browned these sausage because I like it better that way.)  Add tomatoes, water, rice and Tabasco sauce; mix well. Add vegetables; mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender and vegetables are heated through. (I cooked this longer and added the vegetables toward the end so they didn't get overcooked.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find an older post

For any and all health advice/suggestions and/or posts on this blog, I do not assume any liability for you. The posts and comments on this blog are not meant to be a substitute for your own practicing physician's care in your life. These posts are based on my experience and research in my own healing journey and are placed here to encourage and help those ailing with their health. We are all individuals and there is not ONE pat answer or resolution that applies to everyone across the board.