April 24, 2013

Dying to Read More!

My goodness the past month has been a WHIRLWIND.  It is a blur.  It has been TOO busy for my taste but things are winding down now.  Yay!  I am not one who likes to be TOO busy.  We finished co-op with our final presentation night which was such a blessing.  Corbin got a free ticket to our local waterpark for reading over 600 minutes in a couple months.  Cody received his preschool binder that he worked so hard on all year and I wrapped up teaching my first preschool co-op class.  Our homeschool here at home is winding down too.  Between those things, sickness, doctors appointments, GAPS diet (which takes a lot of prep), planning meetings, Sunday school teaching, bible studies, fellowship with friends and family, starting our garden, and more, things have been downright crazy.

One thing I have been really missing is sitting down with a good book. I have several that I am reading right now and several on the list too read. I look forward to starting summer with some lazy days curling up with a good book and a glass of carrot, celery juice (yeah, you read that right, carrot, celery juice. That is what I can have right now. Actually I really love it. Heheheh!)

Here are some books on my reading list:


I haven't started reading this one yet but have heard and read really good reviews on it.  I can't wait to start this.

I have read the Dare To Discipline book in this 3 in 1 book and it was great!  I am now in the middle of the strong willed child section.  It is also very informative and motivating.  I was (and still am) a strong willed child and happen to have one just like me. Dr. Dobson helps so much in figuring out how to live life with one!  Fortunately, because I am one I have an inside scoop on what makes a strong willed child (or person) tick! I have always loved Dr. Dobson.


I have started reading this book. I really, really love it.  I wish I had books like this when I was in school.  I have learned more (truth) from this book than anything I read in school when I was a child.  I also love the way it is written.  It is not merely just facts but instead an actual story with characters.  Interspersed throughout the book are factual tidbits and information. Michael Farris of HSLDA recommended this book at our last homeschool conference.  I am so glad we purchased it.  I can't wait to read it with Corbin and Cody. How important it is for them to know and understand why America IS free!


I have started reading this book and consider it to be a go to resource for me throughout most of my homeschooling.  Clay and Sally have a lot of wisdom to pass down and I am so appreciative of such a great resource. This is their description on the book from their website:
You’ll find 384 help-filled pages packed with useful information, insights and encouragement:
■Ideas: Hundreds of practical ideas, teaching methods, lifestyle suggestions, and product recommendations
■Insights: Dozens of scriptures, personal anecdotes, quotes, notes, and comments
■Anecdotes: Dozens of "In Our Home" snapshots of Clarkson family living
■Books: A recommended "Family Favorites" reading list of whole and living books
■Helps: A section of reproducible forms for planning and record-keeping


Yes, I read cookbooks.  Actually, I devour cookbooks.  While I don't identify myself as "Paleo" because of some of the things the lifestyle supports that I don't agree with, I do think that for a lot of people eating Paleo makes complete sense.  After I am done with the GAPS diet I will probably be following the Auto-Immune Protocol for Paleo eating.  You can read about that here and here. If you have an autoimmune disorder I highly recommend looking into this way of eating. I love this cook book.  It has some great ideas and also wonderful information at the beginning of the book before the recipes.  It makes eating Paleo style look simple (which it really is.)


I am happy to say that I finished reading this one!  I am a baker at heart.  I have been baking since I was a little girl. I always asked for baking stuff for my birthdays!  Even when I had to go Gluten Free two years ago I continued baking.  It is not until now that I don't do much baking (for myself at least.) However, I pray that one day soon I will be able to get back to indulging and baking once in a while with almond flour and coconut flour which is what this book uses a lot of.  The recipes are decadent!

Here are some other books I have finished or are in the middle of but don't have pictures....
I intend to read this and many other beekeeping books over the summer. I want to have a few bee hives in the next few years.  Bees are getting scarce and raw local honey is getting expensive. I think it would be so much fun to have a few hives and harvest our own honey.

I did read this whole book and learned so much about Oswald Chambers.  It was a quick read and gave a good glimpse into his life.  It also made me think a lot about my perspective on life and my world view.  Mr. Chambers was a great man of God who was dedicated to his work.  It is amazing that his wife put together all of his works in so many different books after his young, untimely death.  Thankfully she did that so we could glean from his teachings.

I am greatly anticipating this book about why pain and suffering occur.  I love C.S. Lewis and his writings and I am sure he will paint great light on this subject.

I am in the middle of this book and want to just inhale it.  I have to take it slow though because it is a "thinker."  I love Phillip's verse for verse explanation and view of Psalm 23.  Since he was a shepherd he has a inside look at what God really means when he calls us his "sheep."  It is such an interesting book. I highly recommend it!

We are reading this together as a family right now and what a woman Corrie was.  She suffered so much in Nazi Germany yet never lost sight of God. Her story is encouraging and she is a wonderful example to all of us on how to live out our faith.  We love reading Christian Missionary or Christian American Hero stories together as a family.

This book is on my summer reading list.  I can't wait to read it.  I also want to read The Pilgrim's Progress by the same author this summer. We have the audio book and it was excellent.

I haven't started this book yet but as soon as school is out I intend to.  It has a workbook with it and I hope to make it part of my bible study when I start it.  I hear it is a life changer.  I am greatly anticipating reading this one.

This goes without saying but the number one book on my list for the summer and every day is my Bible.  I am learning so much in my quiet times lately and love having my Strong's Concordance by my side to help me understand and dissect verses more.  It has been so fruitful. I have also taken to journaling more lately and it is so therapeutic.  It is also wonderful because I can look back and see God's faithfulness through my joys and trials.

I am sure on the book list above there are a few I am missing. I truly enjoy reading and am making and effort this summer to have a bit less screen time and a bit more reading time.  I think it will be much healthier for me. Books are truly a blessing and I don't take them for granted.

What is on your reading list for the summer?

~Blessings~

1 comment:

  1. I loved Fruitful Wife! And I have Whole Hearted child sitting next to my bed to re -read :)

    ReplyDelete

Find an older post

For any and all health advice/suggestions and/or posts on this blog, I do not assume any liability for you. The posts and comments on this blog are not meant to be a substitute for your own practicing physician's care in your life. These posts are based on my experience and research in my own healing journey and are placed here to encourage and help those ailing with their health. We are all individuals and there is not ONE pat answer or resolution that applies to everyone across the board.