March 6, 2011

Boston Brown Bread

Recently, when visiting the library I came across and fun looking cookbook that ended up having some really good recipes in it.  I found a recipe for Boston Brown Bread in the book and just thinking about this bread brought me back to my childhood. 

I remember going to the store with my mom and it was a huge treat for us to be able to buy a can of brown bread from the store. I couldn't wait to get it home, pop it out of the can, slice it, warm it up and top it with some cream cheese.  Yummy! It would still be a treat to do this today but I can't bring myself to spend the 4 or 5 dollars on this ~ especially when I can make it at home now!

Boston Brown bread is delicious and very unique in how it is cooked.  It is steamed in tin cans!  The texture is chewy and dense and it has a slightly sweet and nutty taste.  It tastes amazing warmed with butter or cream cheese on it.  I like to serve it to my family because it fills them up and is fairly healthy.

I made this the other day and it tasted just like I remembered it!  Actually better because it was fresh and no preservatives.

You have to try this you will love it.  Maybe it would be something fun to do with the kids too?  Everyone here thought it was cool how it steamed.


Here is the recipe:
Boston Brown Bread (from a book that I unfortunately did not write down the name!)

1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. rye flour
1 c. graham or whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. molasses
1 1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c. raisins (optional)

Grease 2-3 16 oz. tin cans (cans that you saved from canned veggies or fruit) Set aside. Place a rack in the bottom of a very large stockpot (the kind you would uses for canning.) 

In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flours, baking soda, and salt.  Stir in the molasses and buttermilk and mix well.

Fill the cans two-thirds full, cover with foil and place them on the rack in the stock pot.  Add hot water half way up the sides of the cans.  Cover the pot and heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the breads are firm to the touch and a long skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Check the water level occasionally to keep at the half way point.

Let the breads cool.  Unmold by by running a knife around the breads,  If the bread us stubborn, invert and give a few good shakes and it will come right out.

I doubled this recipe because I knew my family would love this. Sure enough they gobbled up all 5 loaves and asked me to make some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find an older post

For any and all health advice/suggestions and/or posts on this blog, I do not assume any liability for you. The posts and comments on this blog are not meant to be a substitute for your own practicing physician's care in your life. These posts are based on my experience and research in my own healing journey and are placed here to encourage and help those ailing with their health. We are all individuals and there is not ONE pat answer or resolution that applies to everyone across the board.