This dish had a lot of flavor and was able to be made in one pot. I really liked that. Now for those of you that don't like sausage you could use ground turkey or beef in it and it would be very good as well. I was surprised because Corbin loved it, even with all the veggies. As I said in my previous post he even had seconds for a snack later in the night. That has never happened.
 |
1/2 pound smoked sausage cut into slices (I used a smoked Turkey Kielbasa) 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, cajun or italian style (I used italian) 3/4 cup water (I used more water because I didn't use instant rice) 1 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice (I used regular rice) Dash Tabasco suace (did not use this - it would be too spicy for Corbin) 1 bag (16oz) frozen mixed veggies with Broccoli, Corn and Red Peppers (I did not use this because there are some frozen veggies I don't like - like broccoli. Instead I used canned corn a fresh pepper and fresh broccoli) * Since the cooking time for the rice was longer I was able to steam the veggies in the same pot while the rice was cooking.
Heat Sausage in large skillet 2-3 minutes. (I actually browned these sausage because I like it better that way.) Add tomatoes, water, rice and Tabasco sauce; mix well. Add vegetables; mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender and vegetables are heated through. (I cooked this longer and added the vegetables toward the end so they didn't get overcooked.) |
No comments:
Post a Comment